ifup and arp problem [ was RE: Help debugging director problems after a

Subject: ifup and arp problem [ was RE: Help debugging director problems after a period of time]
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:59:15 +0200

Horms :
> Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 3:26 AM
> Other than spurious replication of the default route, that looks pretty
> normal, but doesn't really tell us much.  Have you tried using ping or
> traceroute to see if you can route ICMP to (and from) other machines,
> like for instance the name server?

I just tried to follow this discussion, and because no one really seems to find
the problem, I would add my own experience :

Nether use ifup to mount noarping interfaces! In the ifup script, you will find
an arping command (line 205 230 and 234 in my RHES). If this is the first
realserver you are configuring, this is not really a problem, but if you try to
add a realserver to an existing pool of servers, this will mess all the LVS
routing structure by sending arp announce.

I really don't know why but I experienced it (more than one time) on my LVS-DR.

François.