Re: LVS-DR w/ fwmarks and no VIP on director

Subject: Re: LVS-DR w/ fwmarks and no VIP on director
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:17:12 -0400
Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Yeah, I just can't see it at all.  I've read HOWTO.fwmark and section
> 8.2. (Routing to and accepting packets by a VIP-less director), and I
> don't see anything that turns on a light bulb above my head. :-)

You need to arrange for the director to accept packets for the VIP. With
2.0 and 2.2 this was done with transparent proxy. The 2.4 TP doesn't work
for 2.4 for LVS and you need to apply a patch to get it to work.

> I read all the warnings about TPROXY and various versions of Linux since
> 2.0.  However, I thought they applied to the situation when you have
> TPROXY on the director.

I expect the problem for 2.4 is the same as for the realservers, ie you;ll
have to patch the kernel.

> In my case, I'll have TPROXY on the
> realservers, so I think it'll be fine.

> The real trouble will come when I have to figure out how to get the load
> balancers on the other side of the Zorp cluster to ensure that return
> traffic goes back through the proxy it came in through. :-)

I have not a clue what this means.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx