RE: Routing weirdness

Subject: RE: Routing weirdness
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:20:19 -0700
> I've seen a similar delay in failover when using cisco routers.  They
> don't update the internal MAC address table after receiving gratuitous
> arp packets during an LVS director failover event.  I don't
> know if the
> heartbeat package uses arps to fail over, but keepalived does.  Cisco
> routers seem to need icmp packets before they'll update the
> MAC address
> table.  For LVS, the problem here is that the router continues to send
> traffic to the VIP at the master's hw address instead of
> shifting to the backup's hw address.

Heartbeat sends out quite a few gratuitous arps.  They are very good about
it.  Only a misconfigured switch or an extremely crappy switch wouldn't
respond to the arps that heartbeat sends out.  Another possibility here is a
firewall or misconfigured linux is blocking the arps.

As Horms said, the best way to figure out what is going on is through the
use of tcpdump from a few points of presence on your network.  Logging in to
the switch to see what the arp entries are before and after failover is also
not a bad idea.

---