RE: Persistance and LVS

Subject: RE: Persistance and LVS
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:52:55 -0700
> For memory for the ipvs hash table:
> At 128bytes/connection, that's 1.28M of memory for the
> ipvsadm hash table. You have quite a margin with memory.
>
> For disk and network I/O:
>
> Let's say the average e-mail is 10kB. Each realserver
> is processing (10k messages/(15*60) secs) * 10kB = 0.1MBytes/sec.
> Your disks and network also have large margins of safety.

Also for network:

Since you are doing NAT, you have to maybe worry about a limit in your I/O
bus with network cards.  What kind of network cards & drivers are you using?

Find out the rate of packets going through your VIP with ipvsadm -L --rate.
If the PPS is getting anywhere close to 20000 or 30000/s (probably not) you
better have good cards (64-bit) & drivers or it is going to be bad real soon
:).   With NAPI & 64-bit you can go well above 100,000k.

Cheers,

PS - has anyone seen Ratz around?