Re: LVS Active-Active, two instances ipvsadm

To: david.manchado@xxxxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS Active-Active, two instances ipvsadm
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:41:59 -0400
David Manchado wrote:

Since Horms hasn't replied...

There are two branches of the sync demon code.

There is Wensong's master-slave implementation, which only would
failout but not failback. Julian's patch fixed that and you run
two copies of the sync demon (one as slave and one as master) on
each director, so now you can failback too.

Horms is working on a separate branch, which virtualises the sychd -
he has written hooks into ip_vs so that that synchd can be loaded
as a module and controlled by ipvsadm.

Horms has rewritten Wensong's code as a loadable module so you can
get the same functionality as before with his code.

Horms also has implemented a peer-to-peer synchd, which loads as
a module and allows all directors to exchange conn state info
with each other. This has been written up as the conn_sync paper
on Horms webpage. The p2p synchd allows all directors to be
active (Horms Saru work).

None of Horms sync code has been accepted in ip_vs by Wensong.

There is lots of good useful code floating around that is not in ip_vs
and you shouldn't put it aside because it's outside ip_vs. I attempt
to mention it when I can in the HOWTO, but I don't know about it all.
In the next version of the HOWTO (any day now) I have written up
some of the active-active code.

If you want to use the active-active code, you should go to Horms
webpages.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx