Re: lvs xdmcp & wlc & persistent states & hardware

Subject: Re: lvs xdmcp & wlc & persistent states & hardware
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:45:36 +0900
On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:05:56AM -0700, Pete Gajria wrote:
> yep already read the how-to before attempting any questions here
> my xdmcp is setup as described earlier & in the howto
>
> what i dont understand is after the initial port 177 udp
> the client & the realservers are connected
> so how does the director know how to load balance when using wlc
> since it has no way of knowing if the client is still connected to the
> realserver

First up, X is not my area of expertiese. But I have
friends in strange places and so I asked one of them.

This is the way that I understand that things work
between the end-user (xserver) and cluster-node (xclient).

End User                        Cluster Node
  |-------------xdmcp request-------->|
  |--------------xdmcp reply--------->|
  |<--------open X connection---------|
  |<-------packets for X connection-->|

Ok, this is a bit of a simplification. But the point is
that the end-user initiates the xdmcp request. That can be
handled by LVS. Then the Cluster Node initiates pretty
much everything after that. So LVS doesn't need to be
involved beyond there.

--
Horms