Re: lvs xdmcp & wlc & persistent states & hardware

Subject: Re: lvs xdmcp & wlc & persistent states & hardware
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:05:23 -0400
Pete Gajria wrote:

> what i dont understand is after the initial port 177 udp
> the client & the realservers are connected
> so how does the director know how to load balance when using wlc
> since it has no way of knowing if the client is still connected to the
> realserver

after authorization, the director is not involved. The director only
load balances the initial connection. Since the connections are likely
to be long lived, this really isn't load balancing as we think about it
for short connections like with http.

> i was asking if anyone had actually implemented xdmcp similar to what im
> doing so i can use it as a cross reference to see if im doing anything wrong
> :)

no-one seems to be using it. It's only come up a few times in the history
of LVS. I had problems with xdm dying, as you can read in the HOWTO and
I never found out the problem. I got around it by port forwarding through ssh.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx