Re: Single NIC NAT?

Subject: Re: Single NIC NAT?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:18:28 -0400
Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> I've been looking at:
> http://jc.mmu.edu.my/~v0114034/dokumentasi/lvsnat-documentation.html

I wish people who wrote these things would drop me a note so I can reference
them in the HOWTO. (I've just added it to the search list for htdig for the
HOWTO)

> And on the test director I have :
>
> eth0:10.0.0.21/24
> eth0:0 192.168.1.31/24
>
> Can you actualy do that?

yes. You've been able to do that since aliases came in,
which would be at least 8yrs ago

the preferred method now is with iproute2, but the commands
are more difficult to use (ie use ifconfig till it breaks)

> How can one NIC be plugged into 2 different sub nets ?

it just has to be told to accept packets for two IPs and reply to arp
requests for two IPs etc.

> Do I have to re-route packets from the firewall by MAC address or
> something ?

not quite sure what your setup is, but it will behave similarly to two
NICS with the different addresses both plugged into the same switch/hub,
so no, you don't have to do anything special. Just route by IP

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx