Re: Using iptables redirect for ARP problem on red hat real servers

Subject: Re: Using iptables redirect for ARP problem on red hat real servers
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:52:46 -0400
Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> I've used the following to solve the ARP problem on linux real servers
> before :
>
> $VIP=x.x.x.x
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d VIP -j REDIRECT
>
> Which works fine,

does or did?

> but I've just set one up with two RedHat real servers
> and I seem to be getting something similar to the ARP problem. 1 Active
> connection, 1 FIN_WAIT and 27 CLOSED ?

REDIRECT (Horms method) worked fine for 2.2. It doesn't work for 2.4
and no-one has tested 2.6. The HOWTO talks about this quite a bit.
It was mostly used on the director, but can also be used on the realservers
where it works the same way.

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx