RE: load balancer sending to the wrong real servers

Subject: RE: load balancer sending to the wrong real servers
From: "Burke, Dan" <dburke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:11:18 -0400
> On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 08:42 -0400, Burke, Dan wrote:
> > After the upgrade we started having problems with the Solaris boxes.
It
> > seemed like after a while LB2 just decided not to balance them
anymore,
> > so http requests were timing out.  Once we restarted heartbeat on
LB2 it
> > was fine for nearly a day before there was problem again (the time
was
> > not any exact interval.  Last time we did an upgrade we had an ARP
> > problem and it was every 4 hours like clockwork).
>
> you can trust the output of ipvsadm and ip addr ls on each
loadbalancer
> (I can't remember hearing about any kernel bugs in the ipvs code).
> first check if they jive with what you expect.  after that, the
question
> is which MAC address is in the router's arp cache for the VIP you're
> having problems with.

"ip addr ls" returns what I'd expect as far as IP's on the LB's.  It's
just so -weird- that it would start taking traffic that belongs to a
couple Sun boxes and forward it to one of the linux boxes.  I'll have to
see what I can do about getting the info from the router (that's not
something I have been graced with access to).

Dan.

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential
and intended solely for the person or organization
to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged
and confidential information and if you are not the
intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action in reliance on it. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender as soon as possible and delete the e-mail
message and any attachment(s).

This message has been scanned for viruses
by TechTeam's email gateway.