RE: Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?

Subject: RE: Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?
From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:35:00 -0700
On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 16:07, Peter Mueller wrote:
<snip>
> > Thats not encouraging. I need something fairly cheap..
> > otherwise I might
> > as well go down the commercial load balancer route. What do others use
> > for setups like this? Cheapest 1U's I can find are about $750 USD.
>
> What about not using these Soekris's and just using those two beefy servers?
> E.g.,
>
> http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/ha-overview.html
> or http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/sl-ha-lb-overview.html

Thats what I'm doing now. The setup works, but its complexity causes
issues. Bringing up IPs over here, moving them from eth0 to lo over
there, running noarpctl on that box. Its all very hard to keep track of.
Its much simpler to just have two boxes running LVS, and not worry about
whats on the servers.

Simple things are generally easier to fix if they break. It took me
quite a while to find a simple typo in a script on my current setup,
because it was very non-obvious at what layer things were failing.