LVS with 3 Servers questions

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS with 3 Servers questions
From: Nguyen Kinh Luan <luan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:49:36 +0100
Hi all,

i´ve read nearly the complete avilable documentation at www.linuxvirtualserver.org and www.ultramonkey.org but didn´t found the answer...

This is what i want to setup:

I need a HA and Load-Balance solution for a high traffic website (~50Gig and ~10 million requests per day). I have 3 servers for this purpose. Two of the servers are Dual-Xeons and one is a P4 2,4Ghz. These servers are rented and hosted by a well connected provider.

I think the major problem is that every server has only one NIC and one IP address. Additionally every server runs in its own subnet :-(

Is there any chance to setup a LVS system under these conditions ? My plan would be to use the single CPU machine as the load-balancer and the two dual-CPUs as the real servers for apache. NAT is not desired, because the traffic should also be balanced between the real servers. In other words, if the clients make requests to the site the real servers should deliver for themselves the pages without passing the traffic back to the load-balancer.

Maybe this graph can help:

                    Client

                       |    --> request page

                 Single-CPU LB (1 NIC, 1 IP e.g. 82.134.21.3)

                Dual        Dual (both Duals have also 1 NIC, 1 IP)
             217.12.31.2   217.67.23.239

If HA is not possible maybe just load-balacing ? Maybe something like the Streamline setup from ultramonkey.org ?

thanks for your tips/help,
Luan