Re: real server failover

Subject: Re: real server failover
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:14:07 +0900
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:40:03PM -0500, Christen R. Pacheco wrote:
> Keepalive provides a wide array of services such as multi interface
> VRRP, easy LVS configuration and healthcheckers for removing sites from
> LVS when they fail.  I have never utilized the linux-ha project but it
> seems interesting and I might give it a run here one of these days...
>
> Keepalived also has a large install base (more users using it in
> production) than linux-ha and has been released for a longer period of
> time in production... (ie more people report bugs etc...)

I challenge that statement.

The changelog for keepalived documents the original release as
2000-12-22, Release 0.2.1. As oposed to the first entry in
the linux-ha changelog, Sat Mar 27 1999, Version 0.2.0.
And as for the number of users, if you have some numbers
then I would like to see them.

The fact is that both tools are useful in this case.
Both tools can work with LVS. Both tools have a wide install base.
Both tools have been around for about the same length of time.
And both tools can do some (other) things that the other can't,
because they have a different development focus.

--
Horms