Re: Praise and Help Request

Subject: Re: Praise and Help Request
From: Jeff Amaral <jamaral@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:38:56 -0500
Hello Joseph,

Thanks for your quick response!

You wrote:
it's likely the arp problem

After reading section 5 of your howto (http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.html), it sure sounds like this is the arp problem.

the connection requests from the client are going directly to node2.

Yep. This is what appears to be happening.

Is there a way I can check on my client to see if this is actually what's happening?

Does the problem only arise following a director failover?

No. I can't figure out what triggers it. It just happens after a while.

However no matter what, the realservers should not reply to arp requests, so you
should never connect to the realserver directly no matter how confused the
directors
are.

Agreed. However, after reading over the howto, I'm not sure how to proceed. I'd like to confirm that this is the problem and then apply one of the solutions, but I'm not sure which one is appropriate.

These servers are running SUSE enterprise 9 (thus SUSE's custom kernel 2.6.5) and I've set the virtual IP address as an alias on the loopback device (lo:0).

Are any of the solutions specifically recommended for my setup? Is it enough to disable arp when setting up the loopback alias, like so:
# ifconfig lo:0 10.1.31.150 netmask 255.255.255.255 -arp up

Thanks again for your help,
Jeff

--
Jeff Amaral