Re: Praise and Help Request

Subject: Re: Praise and Help Request
From: Bryan Berg <bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:53:17 -0800
Jeff Amaral wrote:
Agreed. However, after reading over the howto, I'm not sure how to proceed. I'd like to confirm that this is the problem and then apply one of the solutions, but I'm not sure which one is appropriate.

These servers are running SUSE enterprise 9 (thus SUSE's custom kernel 2.6.5) and I've set the virtual IP address as an alias on the loopback device (lo:0).

Are any of the solutions specifically recommended for my setup? Is it enough to disable arp when setting up the loopback alias, like so:
# ifconfig lo:0 10.1.31.150 netmask 255.255.255.255 -arp up

On my desktop (kernel 2.6.10) that command is NOT sufficient to surpress ARPs on eth0. See here for 2.6 info:

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.html#2_6_arp_announce

Cliff's notes version:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_ignore (provided, of course, you are trying to disable ARPs on eth0). You can also use /etc/sysctl.conf to have this set at boot time.

-Bryan