Re: Interception / redirection of traffic to transparent web cache (not

Subject: Re: Interception / redirection of traffic to transparent web cache (not squid)
From: Mack.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:12:12 -0500
Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.john@xxxxxxx

lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/09/2005 02:02:09
PM:

> What I want to accomplish:
>
> I want to be able to redirect all client http, ftp, real, winmedia,
> nntp, and quicktime traffic to a netapp netcache acting as
> a transparent
> caching proxy for these protocols.  The netcache does IP
> spoofing, so I
> want to make sure that the client IP is passed to the
> cache so that the
> origin server will see that IP in the request.
>
> Here is my intended network layout:
>
> Net
> ^
> Linux Box -> cache
> ^
> Clients

how does the cache machine get its pages etc from the internet?
via the Linux box?

> The cache is a Netapp NetCache 2100 - i.e. not squid.  However, it
> accepts connections on port 3128 just like squid.
>

> Where I'm at:
> I understand that the 2.2 kernel series made this sort of thing
> relatively easy, but this is not the case with the 2.4 and
> 2.6 kernels.

yes.

> I think that I need to apply a fwmark to packets coming in
> on the client
> interface destined for port 80 etc and then route those
> packets to the
> localhost on which the LVS director is listening and the
> director will
> forward the request using the NAT method to the cache.  Is
> this correct?
> ~ Does anyone have a similar setup that would be willing
> to share some
> config details?

LVS is for loadbalancing ie you have multiple servers. Here you
only have one cache box, so you don't need LVS.