SMTP ipip size issue

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SMTP ipip size issue
From: Joel Nimety <jnimety@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:25:13 -0500
I am using ultramonkey and am having an issue loadbalancing smtp (see
config below).  I am unable to send emails that are larger than a
certain size.  I havn't determined what the threshold is but if the
email is small it sends through the VIP fine, if the email is large the
email client times-out during the "data" smtp transaction. Sending
directly to the smtp real server works fine for large emails.

ldirectord.cf:
# Global Directives
checktimeout=10
checkinterval=2
#fallback=127.0.0.1:80
autoreload=no
#logfile="/var/log/ldirectord.log"
logfile="local0"
quiescent=yes
virtual=10.45.1.160:25
#        fallback=127.0.0.1:25
        real=10.25.19.61:25 ipip
        real=10.25.19.62:25 ipip
        real=10.25.19.63:25 ipip
        real=10.25.19.64:25 ipip
        real=10.25.19.65:25 ipip
        real=10.25.19.66:25 ipip
        service=smtp
        scheduler=rr
        #persistent=600
        protocol=tcp
        checktype=negotiate

Real Server Config:
I'm using arptables to hide the vip ip on tunl0

systcl.conf:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 0
kernel.sysrq = 0
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

[root@mail03 root]# arptables --list
Chain IN (policy ACCEPT)
target     source-ip            destination-ip       source-hw
destination-hw     hlen   op         hrd        pro
DROP       anywhere             10.45.1.160  anywhere           anywhere
          any    any        any        any

Chain OUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     source-ip            destination-ip       source-hw
destination-hw     hlen   op         hrd        pro

[root@mail03 root]# ifconfig (truncated for tunl0 only)
tunl0     Link encap:IPIP Tunnel  HWaddr
          inet addr:10.45.1.160  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
          collisions:84 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:15700 (15.3 Kb)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

--
Joel Nimety
Perimeter Internetworking Corp.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the
person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or
disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the
intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete all copies.