Re: Real Server Admin Tools?

Subject: Re: Real Server Admin Tools?
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:03:18 -0700
Jan Klopper wanted us to know:

>shell scripts which reboots them with a simpe "ssh 10.0.0.*
>/etc/init.d/apache restart" for every server.
>Load monitoring is done trough mrtg/rrd tool on my cluster, but it needs
>manual configuraton for each and every metric.
>You might want to take a look at ganglia (if i remember it correct), or
>cacti if you want to use rrdtool.

You can use snmp to do both if you're an snmp type person.  snmp can be
told to execute scripts on the machines being polled.  So you put a
script on the real servers in the MIB tree in extOutput.*.  Then your
master script polls that MIB on each real server, which executes the
restart script on each real server.
--
Regards...              Todd
OS X: We've been fighting the "It's a mac" syndrome with upper management