RE: recommended server pool manager

Subject: RE: recommended server pool manager
From: "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:33:05 -0700
> > >  What are the experiences with server pool managers around here?
> > >  Which ones are currently known to work best?
> > >   keepalived?
> > >   ldirectord?
> > >   Other?

Mon and pulse (redhat) are two other popular options.

> > Both are very good.
> > Ldirectord is very good and easy(ish) to understand...
> Keepalived is
> > more ambitious... never used it myself but I've heard very good
> > things...

I use both for different things.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses and
are capable of doing what you want.  I have not used mon or pulse.

> My main problem is that the previous guy who managed this
> system decided to make his own pool manager with some shell
> scripts and crontab.
>
> The obvious problem is the 1m minimum period, which is
> causing us problems.

.  Maybe you can extend the script with sleep commands?  This would be the
simplest solution IMO.  For example:

*/1 * * * * root /usr/local/sbin/my_lvs_script.sh

my_lvs_script.sh:
        command1
        command2
        command3

Change to:
i=0
while i < 60
        command1
        command2
        command3
        i=i+10

> Since it's a _live_ environment, and extremely critical for
> us, I'm wary of testing like that. I could really use a few
> opinions on which is better and faster at managing pools.

In my experience any of the above would be ok.  But you really should get a
QA setup, even if its only temporary.  By the way, if this is a live setup I
assume you have thought of extending to HA?  If so, then a
keepalived/ultramonkey/pulse && HA switch while you are upgrading this
solution might be a good idea.

Regards,