Using ip_vs on different subnets

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Using ip_vs on different subnets
From: "Scott J. Henson" <scotth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:20:54 -0400
Ive been trying to get this working and I think Ive come to the conclusion that its impossible, but Im wondering if anyone has an idea. Basically I'm trying to get ip_vs to use a real server that is on a different subnet from what the vip is on. Here is my setup.

VIP: 192.168.1.100
Real Server: 192.168.2.100
Client: 192.168.1.101

Ive tried tun, dr, and nat, but all seem to have a problem with them. With dr, the director can't route to the real server and from the tcpdump output, the real server is never getting the packet.

With tun, I can get a packet from the client, to the vip, to the real server, but when the packet leaves the real server it never gets back to the client. I'm guessing thats because the router is droping the packet with a internal ip address(the vip) coming in on the external link. The client never sees the packet returning.

With nat, I can get the entire loop, from the client to the vip to the real server to the client. The packet though, never goes back through the director. This is obvious because the default route of the real server is supposed to be the director, but I can't do that because they are on different subnets. So the packet returns to the client with a source ip address of the real server instead of the vip. This means the client rejects the packet. So that one is out as well.

Is this what is supposed to be happening? Is there a way to have the vip and real server on different subnets like I have above? Normally we use dr with a redirects rule on the real servers on the same subnet and that has been working great, but we have need of putting real servers on a different subnet.
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.