Re: IP tunnelling with new Red Hat Patch?

Subject: Re: IP tunnelling with new Red Hat Patch?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:28:35 +0900
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 06:24:33AM -0500, Nigel Hamilton wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I'm setting up my second LVS cluster and went to the UltraMonkey
>       site to download the latest sources.
>
>       I installed the new ARP rpms for Red Hat Enterprise 3.
>
>       I want to set up an IP tunnelling cluster(IPIP). On the first
>       cluster I normally patched the kernel and changed /etc/sysctl.conf with:
>
>       net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
>       net.ipv4.conf.all.hidden = 1
>       net.ipv4.conf.tunl0.hidden = 1
>
>       But this time I get this error:
>
>       error: 'net.ipv4.conf.all.hidden' is an unknown key
>       error: 'net.ipv4.conf.tunl0.hidden' is an unknown key
>
>       Do I still need to patch the kernel?

If you are using Ultra Monkey 3, then the hidden option
is no longer used. Instead, arptables is used as
this does not require the kernel to be updated.

N.B: RHEL3 has a rather old kernel. Newer kernels have arp_ignore
and arp_announce, which is typically a bit easier to use than
arptables, and thus I advocate using that where possible.
However, either method works fine.

The arptables binaries (rebuild from source provided by Red Hat)
are available from http://www.ultramonkey.org/download/3/rh.el.3/

Information on how to use arptables (and arp_ignore/arp_announce) is at
http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/hc-ha-lb-eg.html#real_servers

--
Horms