Re: Configuring LVS TUN with new arp_tables_jf

Subject: Re: Configuring LVS TUN with new arp_tables_jf
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 05:37:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Nigel Hamilton wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up LVS TUN on Red Hat Enterprise. I've installed the new arp_tables RPMs and am configuring the Real Servers. I've followed the instructions for restricting ARP advertisements found here (http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/hc=ha-lb-eg.html#real_servers).

The next step is to configure the "Loopback" interface. But I'm not sure this is the correct thing to do for LVS TUN?

I haven't used arp_tables, but lo is not involved with LVS-Tun. You should do everything (whatever that is) on
the tunnel device

DEVICE=lo:0
IPADDR=192.168.6.240

why is this x.x.6.x
                ^

NETMASK=255.255.255.255
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255

and this x.x.0.x?
             ^

ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

But now I'm stuck. Lets assume the IP of my real server is 67.45.23.2.

* what address should I use for NETWORK? My real servers are on different networks? My guess is: 67.45.0.0.

VIPs on local devices (lo, tun) are /32 networks so if the VIP is x.x.x.52, then the broadcast is x.x.x.52 and the netmask is 255.255.255.255

* do I need to set the MTU anywhere? is 1480 correct for TUN? where can I set this?

just for testing you don't need anything special. It's only when the client sends big packets that you'll need
to handle it. Look in the HOWTO

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!