Ultramonkey 3, ldirectord and real server monitoring

Subject: Ultramonkey 3, ldirectord and real server monitoring
From: "James Miller" <jimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:53:30 -0500
Hi all,

I'm having a little trouble understanding how UltraMonkey's (v3) ldirectord
'watches' real server (services -- like http).  My apologies if I'm don't
explain myself very well.

I'm running UltraMonkey 3 and Debian Sarge in a DR config.
Here's a snippet of my ldirectord.cf --

checktimeout=10
checkinterval=2
#
#
#
virtual=209.16.216.xx:80
        real=209.16.216.x1:80 gate
        real=209.16.216.x2:80 gate
        service=http
        request="index.html"
        receive="Placeholder page"
        scheduler=rr
        persistent=600
        protocol=tcp
        checktype=negotiate

Here's the scenario:
1. From a client I connect to virtual http service (using rr and connecting
to real server 2) -- everything is fine weight is set to 1 (ipvsadm looks
fine).
2. Shutdown http service on real server 2 -- ipvsadm shows the weight now
set to 0 but traffic is still sent to the server (persistence factor?) --
So, I wait some time, open up a new web browser from the same client and
traffic is still sent to real server 2 (via the VIP of the director).
ipvsadm shows InActConn attempts when the client tries to connect to real
server 2 (which has http daemon stopped).

Shouldn't ldirectord remove real server 2 from the list of available servers
when it can't connect to the http service any longer?

Now if I issue:
ipvsadm -d -t vip_hostname.simutronics.com:http -r
realserver2.simutronics.com
real server 2 is removed from the list of available real servers and the
client connects to the other http server.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple -- but what that is I'm not sure.

Thanks for any and all help!

Jim

James Miller
Simutronics Corp.