Re: arptables problem on FC3 with 2.6.12-1.1376_FC3

Subject: Re: arptables problem on FC3 with 2.6.12-1.1376_FC3
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:12:46 +0900
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 12:14:51PM +0530, ankush grover wrote:
> hey friends,
>
> I am trying to configure Streamline load balancing and heartbeat technique
> on Fedora Core3.
> I have installed all the needed packages but when I tried to stop
> arptables_jf i get the following errors.
>
> [root@cluster1 init.d]# service iptables stop
> [root@cluster1 init.d]# service arptables_jf stop
> Flushing all chains:arptables v0.0.6: can't initialize arptables table
> `filter': Module is wrong version
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> [FAILED]
> Removing user defined chains:arptables v0.0.6: can't initialize arptables
> table `filter': Module is wrong version
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> [FAILED]
> Resetting built-in chains to the default ACCEPT policy: [ OK ]
>
> There are no errors when I try to start the arptables_jf

It sounds like your arptables_jf package is the wrong version,
try using the one from Fedora rather than the one from UltraMonkey.Org.

However, if you are able to use arp_ignore and arp_announce,
then that should do just as well as using arptables, so
you can forget about that problem

> I have installed the arptables_jr from ultramonkey site and also
> arptables-noarp-addr-0.99.1-1.rh.el.um.2.noarch.rpm is also installed.I am
> using loopback interface to stop arp advertisements.
>
> The kernel on FC3 is 2.6.12-1.1376_FC3.
>
> Earlier I was able to successfully implement load balancing technique
> without heartbeat with LVS-DR(Configuration 2).For that I did put these
> entries in
> /etc/sysctl.conf
> net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
>

> I upgraded the iptables also on FC3 but still I am getting this error.
>
> Any pointers how can I get rid of this error.

Please note that using .lo. above is wrong. The these options
only act interfaces that send ARP packets. Not the interface
where the VIP is. Assuming that you only have eth0, just
replace .lo. with .eth0.

Joe Mack, can you please check that this information is accurate in
the HOWTO?

--
Horms