Newbie questions - Problem to Solve

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Newbie questions - Problem to Solve
From: Leandro Tavares Carneiro <leandro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:00:51 -0200
Hi,

I'm new to LVS and i need some problem to solve and i don't know if LVS
is the solution to my case...

I have read almost all the HOWTO and the mini HOWTO and, with the help
of the configuration script i could put a simple test up, using DR and
VS with one NIC and one Network (is what i have at the moment).

I have 3 identical machines to use for this test, one director and 2
realservers. All are running Red Hat Enterprise WS 3 update 4. I have
found the ipvsadm and arptables packages ready for this distribution and
everything works as expected, at least in the beginning.

I can, using another machine on this network, connect by telnet (the
test service) to each realserver trough VIP using VS_NAT. but it only
works on the same network and i have here a network a bit complicated.

I need to set a little cluster to serve XDMCP ( I read the HOWTO, i know
about the limitations ), but my clients are on different networks, as we
can see below:

client net 1    client net 2    client net 3    ...     client net N
        |               |               |                       |
        |               |               |                       |
        |       L A R G E  L O C A L  A R E A                   |
        |       N E T W O R K - " C L O U D "                   |

                        -----------------
                        | CLUSER ROUTER |
                        -----------------

                        -----------------
                        | DIRECTOR      |
                        -----------------

                ---------------------------------
                |               |               |
                |               |               |
        REALSERVER 1    REALSERVER 2    ...     REALSERVER n

Sorry about the drawing ;-)

I hope someone understand what i want. The clients must get the servers
on the cluster network. When i use VS_DR i cat get to one realserver
from the client network, but as i see it is going directly to the
realserver, because it doesn't appear at ipvsadm connection list as
appear when i connect using a client in the cluster network.

I tried to deal with the arp problem using the arptables solution, but i
don't know if it is part of the problem.

Please, if anyone can give me a tip on this, will be great!

Thank you all,

--
Leandro Tavares Carneiro
Petrobras TI/TI-E&P/STEP Suporte Tecnico de E&P