Re: LVS-DR/Squid

Subject: Re: LVS-DR/Squid
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:41:35 +0900
On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 08:23:08PM -0400, Timothy Bushart wrote:
> I'm trying to set up two load balancers to load balance 3128 traffic to two
> squid real servers, 4 servers total. I want to do this so i can point my
> clients internet browser settings to the VIP of the load balancers, then the
> load balancers forward default squid port 3128 to two identical squid real
> servers. I want to do this so either of the load balancers or either of the
> squid servers can crash (hopefully never) and there wont be a single point
> of failure for internet browsing. I will use LVS-DR to do this. I will be
> using RHEL 4.0 on each server. From what I am reading I can use piranha for
> the LVS servers.  I have a total of 5 ip addresses to use, 2 for the load
> balancers, 2 for the real servers and 1 VIP, and all of the addresses are on
> the same subnet.  How should I configure the VIP address on the real
> servers?
> Please ignore me if I'm asking newbie questions cauase I am a beginner.

I'm really not sure that I understand the question.  There are several
examples of how to set up LVS-DR, in the HOWTO, on UltraMonkey.Org, and
elsewhere.  There dosn't seem to be anything particularly tricky about
your setup, so following them should be fine.

In regards to Piranah, that is a front-end to LVS developed by RH.  I'm
not sure if it actually supports LVS-DR. In any case, it has its own
support lists, somewhere on redhat.com I believe, you can probably
find more piranha-savy people there.

Alternatively, you can use LVS in a viariety of ways without piranah,
and that is covered in the documention mentioned above.

--
Horms