Re: ipvsadm still works on what now is a backup ??!!

Subject: Re: ipvsadm still works on what now is a backup ??!!
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:29:54 +0000
On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 11:45 -0500, Pierre Ancelot wrote:
> I just restarted my "Master by default" (Let's call it A) server running
> using keepalived.
[snip]

As Sam already mentioned, this is by design.

Depending on the mode you're in, this will either work (DR or TUN) or
not (NAT) for your clients accessing the BACKUP director. The reason NAT
won't usually work is that the MASTER director is, by definition, the
default gateway (or at the very least the egress gateway) for the
traffic destined to clients from the realservers; that means that
traffic gets NATted correctly.

When using Keepalived, you will see the IPVS system all configured up on
both MASTER and BACKUP directors, however (unless you use fwmarks or
have some rather unusual configuration) the BACKUP director does not
answer for the VIPs you are configured to load balance.

Then, if the BACKUP becomes MASTER there is no overhead in configuring
IPVS as it's already there - and if you enhance your config to use the
sync daemon then established sessions can be statefully handed over to
the BACKUP director on MASTER failover.

Graeme