Re: ldirectord stops almost immediately (Out of office autoreply)

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ldirectord stops almost immediately (Out of office autoreply)
From: "J Van den Berg" <Vdberj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:36:21 +0200
I am on leave until 27 March. Please contact Shaun Donovan
(sdonovan@xxxxxxxxxxx) or Magdaleen Arlow (arlowm@xxxxxxxxxxx) in my absence

>>> lvs-users 02/10/06 20:34 >>>

Hi Leon

I think I've found a fix for this problem for my configuration.

Like you I couldn't reproduce the problem on every real-server - for two
out of three taking the services off-line caused ldirectord to fail but
off-lining the other server caused no problems.  They are virtually
identical hardware and configuration except for slight differences in CPU
speed.

> I also noticed that the problem seems to occur with only 1 server! Very
> strange as this server is also on a VMWare box and actually is an exact
> clone of the other Citrix terminal server (which ldirectord can check
> without a problem).

I think the issue was fixed in ldirectord v1.77.2.39 - there's a reference
to a "race condition in the connect and sip checks" which is a timing
issue which could explain why it shows up with some real servers and not
others.

I tried 4 versions of ldirectord with the following results:

1.62.2.6  ( from my old directors ):
Works fine

1.77.2.32  ( from the heartbeat-ldirectord-1.2.3.cvs.20050927-1.rh.el.um.1
RPM downloaded from the Ultramonkey 3 download page )
Fails with the "Alarm" message when services go off-line on some servers

1.77.2.41 ( latest release from CVS ):
Seems to fix the Alarm problem but when run from heartbeat it didn't
produce any log output in /var/log/ldirectord  ( I didn't spend much time
investigating but it was the same on both directors )

1.77.2.39 ( from CVS, the version that fixes the "race condition" problem:
Seems to fix the Alarm problem and also produces log output as expected.

I've therefore left my setup running with ldirectord 1.77.2.39 ( just
copied the ldirectord file into /usr/sbin for now ) so I can monitor this
over the next few days.  I've also written a simple script I'm running
from cron on both directors every 5 minutes that will email me if the
"ipvs_syncmaster" process is running and /etc/ha.d/resource.d/ldirectord
is not - that way at least I get to know about the problem before it bites
me!

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Peter.

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer.
Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.
<<<<gwavasig>>>>
<<<< gwavasig >>>>