Re: One more NFS/LVS question

Subject: Re: One more NFS/LVS question
From: kwijibo@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:06:50 -0700
Joseph L. Kaiser wrote:
Hi,

I have been tasked to mount a read-only NFS mounted software area to 500+ nodes. I wanted to do this with NFS and LVS, but after reading all the howtos with regard to NFS and LVS and reading all the email with regard to this in the archives (twice), it seems clear to me that this doesn't work.
Lots of people are using LVS with an NFS backend without a problem.  I
am not sure why this would not work, assuming you have a beefy enough
NFS server.

However, I have a boss, and he wanted me to ask if turning off no-attribute caching (noac) would help in the reliability of this service. He has seen with another NFS mounted filesystem that using the "noac" turns off caching and clients that sometimes get "Stale NFS file handle" will reread the file and succeed. So my question is:
It is my understanding that you should only get this error message
when a file has been removed, renamed, or replaced out from under
the client.  I think this can happen with or without the "noac"
option.

1.  Has anyone seen this behavior with "noac"?
2. Does it make sense to try turning off "noac" and testing? Will the filehandle problem still persist and make this just a dumb thing to do?
Testing never hurts anything if it isn't a live system.  I would think the
"noac" option would put more load on your NFS server since your client
would have to ask for the attributes every access.  Try and find out.

There are quite a few things that can be done to optimize NFS performance.
Have any of those been tried yet?

Steve