Re: LVS NAT unidentified problem

Subject: Re: LVS NAT unidentified problem
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:07:04 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Neamtu Dan wrote:

#        VIP=eth1:10 192.168.81.10/24

I have tried /32 but the script doesn't add the gateway for the director(gw = clientIP), and I couldn't do it manually ( # route add default gw 192.168.81.20 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1 eth1:10 SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable), so there could not be communication between the director and the client. But from what I have read in the mini-HOW TO NAT works with a /24 mask for the VIP, so I tried that way.

yes there's a bug in the script which I documented somewhere, and I haven't fixed because few people are using it.

did you get any errors from the scripts as they were setting up? I've always got a working LVS when the scripts exit without errors.

In the case of a /24 mask for the VIP I can ping real server - client, in the case of /32 I cannot,becouse of the routing table, as I have said before. Indeed I got errors from the script , but that was because of my 2.6.15 kernel (the script was tested only for 2.2.x and 2.4.x).

you're keeping the errors secret? What they are it the central part of the problem here.

Do you think that is the real problem? It's said that the script is expected to work on 2.6.x kernels.

I expect nothing is going to work with ethernet aliases in 2.6.x kernels. There are scripts to run by hand to setup the director for LVS-NAT in the mini-HOWTO. You'll have to change the lines that set up the VIP to use 'ip addr add dev eth0 VIP brd+ ...' (or something like that) instead of using ifconfig to set up an ethernet alias. Read the section on iproute2 in the HOWTO (you can't use ifconfig anymore to see the VIP)

SYN+ACK,tcpdump used), the packet arrives on eth0 (I use two NICs) on the director but it doesn't get to eth1:10,

eth1:10 doesn't exist anymore and tcpdump doesn't know about it either.

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!