Question regarding getting compiled.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Question regarding getting compiled.
From: "Dan Baughman" <dan.baughman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:32:53 -0600
Hello LVS List,

I have been a linux user for some time and was wonder if someone could
give a few pointers to a n00bs0r like me trying to get lvs-nat load
balancing setup. I am pretty much a redhat user, and ahve basically
suffered through most of the kernel mods to get the point-and-drool
functionality, as any use of mine for linux was functionality based (I
wanted to use LAMP, or needed a stable platform for file serving, or
needed to some software like the wireless utils, etc...).
I really want to get an LVS nat setup, but it seems that any version
of linux I've used has been provided by a distribution. (redhat,
debian, etc..).
Does anyone know of any FREE linux distros that lvs will compile and
run on using their out of the box configuration?

I tried installing a standard kernel from kernel.org on my fedora core
3 box, but the install wont boot that kernel...( I think maybe I could
tweak the kernel enough to boot the fedora 3 install, but then I might
end up right in the same boat!)

I tried on a fedora core 3 box, and here is what I can find:
running this yields no output at all ( which I think is good right?):
 modprobe ip_vs

I have these files in /proc/net:
ip_vs        ip_vs_app    ip_vs_conn   ip_vs_stats

Yet when I try to compile ipvsadmin-1.24 I get this:

[root@photography ipvsadm-1.24]#make

[hundreds of beginning lines left out]
libipvs.c: In function `ipvs_get_timeout':
libipvs.c:288: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
libipvs.c:293: error: `IP_VS_SO_GET_TIMEOUT' undeclared (first use in
this function)
libipvs.c: In function `ipvs_get_daemon':
libipvs.c:309: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
libipvs.c:315: error: `IP_VS_SO_GET_DAEMON' undeclared (first use in
this function)
libipvs.c: At top level:
libipvs.c:33: error: storage size of `ipvs_info' isn't known
make[1]: *** [libipvs.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ipvsadm-1.24/libipvs'
make: *** [libs] Error 2

Is this because of the fedora core 3 kernel being jacked up, or is
there something I've missed otherwise?  If there is an out of the box
distro I can dl and use rather that worrying about this problem,
please just point me in that direction.

My next step is going to be to try on an RH 7.3 system, which
hopefully I'll have luck with..