Re: Broadcast Traffic...

Subject: Re: Broadcast Traffic...
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:56:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Graeme Fowler wrote:

This is the LVS synchronisation daemon pushing state information from
the master to the backup director (and it is in fact multicast, not
broadcast, see http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses).

It is possible to put this traffic onto a separate interface (like your
heartbeat network) to save it being sent out to all the machines on the
frontend network, but how that's configured depends on which application
you use you manage your LVS.

There's a thread on the keepalived mailing list at the moment about which network to put the keepalived vrrp packets. I've lost my posting privileges but still get the posting and I'm not prepared to go figure out why, so I'll post my 2c worth here.

An LVS functions as one machine and thus must appear to the outside world as one machine. This means if you have any communication between machines (director-director, director-realserver), the clients can't know about it.

o it breaks the unix semantics of one machine

o it allows hackers access to private data.

Whether you put the director-director communications
on the same network as the RIPs or on another private network, is up to you, but the packets can't be allowed to go out the NIC on the director which faces the internet.

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!