Re: The question about distributed file system

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The question about distributed file system
From: "Brad Dameron" <brad@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 01:48:26 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "K Kopper" <karl_kopper@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:00 PM

--- dreamping <dreamping925@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To share the data behind the realserver,I want to
use SAN,should i use NFS
or DFS(distributed filesystem)?and which DFS is
appropriated for LVS and
SAN.

To share files on the real servers and ensure that all
real servers see the same changes at the same time a
good NAS box or even a Linux NFS server built on top
of a SAN (using Heartbeat to failover the NFS server
service and IP address the real servers use to access
it) works great. If you run "legacy" applications that
perform POSIX-compliant locking you can use the
instructions at http://linux-ha.org/HaNFS to build
your own HA NFS solution with two NFS server boxes and
a SAN (only one NFS server can mount the SAN disks at
a time, but at failover time the backup server simply
mounts the SAN disks and fails over the locking statd
information). Of course purchasing a good HA NAS
device has other benefits like non-volatile memory
cache commits for faster write speed.

I am using RedHat GFS with my SAN to do file sharing. Works great.

Brad Dameron
SeaTab Software
www.seatab.com