ldirector and heartbeat

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ldirector and heartbeat
From: John Gray <gray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:27:27 -0400
I see that ldirector docs recommend starting it by heartbeat.

I run two LVS boxes, in active-passive mode that serve as a load-balancer. I've been running ldirectord on both boxes all the time instead of starting it with heartbeat because it take about 2 minutes for ldirector to test all my services and come to a fully functional state. So it does failover much faster if the secondary box already has ldirectord running.

It was a way to start ldirectord where it assumes the services are good until they are tested? That would reduce the failover time if ldriectord is started it on failover. And the services all almost alway there anyway.

Is there a compelling reason for not running ldirector on both the LVS boxes all the time? I realize I have all those extra service checks happening, but that seems worth it for the fast cut-over times.

I'm trying to have heartbeat handle as little as possible to keep the cut-over time as short as possible. So I run all the services I can on the secondary, so I don't have to wait for them to start. Is there a good argument for not doing this? The truth of the matter is it only cuts over when I'm testing it any way, but I'm sure the day will come...

John