Re: Problems with keepalived

Subject: Re: Problems with keepalived
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:22:19 +0100
Hi

On 29/06/2006 09:03, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
Many thanks to Graeme Fowler, whose suggestions led to the solution.

No problem.

1. Remove the VRRP authentication completely (if you feel you can).
I wasn't aware that this worked.

VRRP will work with or without auth, but without it someone could "poison" your environment. As the basic auth is so trivial to forge it isn't really worth bothering with, so the comments further down regarding "protecting" your announcements start to make more sense.

2. You only have a single VRRP instance; you don't need a vrrp_sync_group. Comment it out.
And I wasn't aware that this was possible either.

The sync group stuff is designed to ensure that all your VRRP instances change state when one of them does - in an LVS-NAT system, for example, it means that you can failover the "external" and "internal" interfaces of a director to make sure that the default gateway for the realservers ends up with the client-facing VIP (ensuring service continuity). If you see what I mean.

...snip...