Re: ipvs with ipsec

Subject: Re: ipvs with ipsec
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Farid Sarwari wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with IPVS and IPSec. When a HTTP client requests a page, I can see the traffic come all the way to the webserver (ws1,ws2). However, the return traffic gets to the load balancer but does not make it through the ipsec tunnel. When doing a tcpdump I can see that the packets get SNATed by ipvs.

required for LVS-NAT to work.

I know there is a problem with ipsec2.6 and SNAT, and I've upgraded my kernel and iptables so now SNAT with iptables works. But it looks like ipvs is doing its own SNAT which doesn't pass through the ipsec tunnel.

there are routing problems with LVS-NAT

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-NAT.html#brownfield

(a version of ipvs with this patch has not been released)

do you think this might be affecting you?

Is there a way to tell ipvs not to do snat and let iptables take care of the SNAT?

no.

I last played around with ipv6 about 6 years ago and installed it just for fun and then forgot about it.
I didn't realise you could do IPSec with ipv4.

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!