Re: Heartbeat Error

To: Brad Taylor <btaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Heartbeat Error
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:36:44 +0900
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 01:52:15PM -0400, Brad Taylor wrote:
> I can't use eth0, eth0 is the server IP address and not the VIP. If I
> can't use eth0:0 where do I put the VIP?

I'm not sure I understand the question. IPaddr2 uses ip to configure
addresses, and in ip speak an interface can have as many addresses
as you like. So you should be able to add eth0 regardless of if
it already has the server IP or not.

e.g.

ip addr show eth0
ip addr add 10.0.0.1/24 dev eth0
ip addr add 10.0.0.2/24 dev eth0
ip addr show eth0
ip addr del 10.0.0.1/24 dev eth0
ip addr del 10.0.0.2/24 dev eth0
ip addr show eth0

Note that ifconfig can't see addresses added this way,
though ip addr show can see addresses added using ifconfig (or IPaddr).

There were some bugs in IPaddr2 around 2.0.6 which were fixed for 2.0.7.
Though there is a possibility that 2.0.7 features new and uncharted bugs.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/