Re: ipvsadm output VS ifconfig output

Subject: Re: ipvsadm output VS ifconfig output
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:56:20 +0100
Hi

On 23/10/2006 10:32, Jonathan Lundberg wrote:
<snip>
Has anybody seen this behaviour before? You say ifconfig doesn't see IP's configured with iproute2 tools, but all I know is that when I start
pulse in CentOS, I _DO_ see ifconfig device entries for every VIP (or at
least, the ones that work!)

First question: what's pulse? It certainly isn't part of LVS. As far as I can tell it's part of the (RedHat) piranha package, of which I have zero experience.

Second question: is pulse supposed to manage your VIP assignments? From reading http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/s1-lvs-block-diagram.html#S3-LVS-PULSE it appears that this is the case, but again as I have no experience of it I can only go with what's written there.

Having a scoot through the docs there, it looks to me like pulse does many jobs but on is to manage your VIP assignments and create interfaces/ip address entries accordingly. And of note is the following: "Do not configure the floating IP for eth0:1 or eth1:1 by manually editing network scripts or using a network configuration tool."

I wonder if you have an IP you're trying to use as a VIP which is manually applied, and therefore pulse is failing to complete its' assignments? I think you'd best look in your various logfiles for that.

Graeme