Re: ipvsadm output VS ifconfig output

Subject: Re: ipvsadm output VS ifconfig output
From: Jonathan Lundberg <lundbej@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:13:14 +0100
Graeme Fowler wrote:
Hi

On 23/10/2006 10:32, Jonathan Lundberg wrote:
<snip>
Has anybody seen this behaviour before? You say ifconfig doesn't see IP's configured with iproute2 tools, but all I know is that when I start
pulse in CentOS, I _DO_ see ifconfig device entries for every VIP (or at
least, the ones that work!)

First question: what's pulse? It certainly isn't part of LVS. As far as I can tell it's part of the (RedHat) piranha package, of which I have zero experience.

Second question: is pulse supposed to manage your VIP assignments? From reading http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/s1-lvs-block-diagram.html#S3-LVS-PULSE it appears that this is the case, but again as I have no experience of it I can only go with what's written there.

Having a scoot through the docs there, it looks to me like pulse does many jobs but on is to manage your VIP assignments and create interfaces/ip address entries accordingly. And of note is the following: "Do not configure the floating IP for eth0:1 or eth1:1 by manually editing network scripts or using a network configuration tool."

I wonder if you have an IP you're trying to use as a VIP which is manually applied, and therefore pulse is failing to complete its' assignments? I think you'd best look in your various logfiles for that.

Graeme

Hi Guys,

Apologies, I thought that pulse was part of the LVS project and that piranha was just RedHat's config tool. Obviously this is probably more a question for CentOS/RedHat
LVS package users in particular rather than you guys, thanks anyway.

Jonathan
copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please note that emails to, from and within RTÉ may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act 1997 and may be liable to disclosure.