Problems with testing load with ab

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problems with testing load with ab
From: Larry Ludwig <ludes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:14:48 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

From testing it appears that my load balance is working.
I have LVS setup using ultramonkey and I am in the process of stress testing 2
web servers behind a LVS/DR setup.

From using apachebench (ab) I get about half of the connections fail.
Sometimes the test doesn't even complete.  The testing is occurring on the LAN
of the switch.  Any ideas why it would fail some of the time?  I don't get
these errors if I test directly to the server IP.  Some times I get:

apr_recv: No route to host (113)
Total of 1000 requests completed

ab output:

[root@zeus ~]# ab  -n 10000 -c 200 http://192.168.1.71/
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.0.41-dev <$Revision: 1.141 $> apache-2.0
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright (c) 1998-2002 The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking 192.168.1.71 (be patient)
Completed 1000 requests
Completed 2000 requests
Completed 3000 requests
Completed 4000 requests
Completed 5000 requests
Completed 6000 requests
Completed 7000 requests
Completed 8000 requests
Completed 9000 requests
Finished 10000 requests

Server Software:        lighttpd
Server Hostname:        192.168.1.71
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        8 bytes

Concurrency Level:      200
Time taken for tests:   0.941705 seconds
Complete requests:      10000
Failed requests:        5008
   (Connect: 0, Length: 5008, Exceptions: 0)
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      2571409 bytes
HTML transferred:       75184 bytes
Time per request:       18.834 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       0.094 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          2666.44 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        1    2   0.4      2       3
Processing:     2    4   0.8      4       6
Waiting:        1    2   0.8      3       4
Total:          4    6   0.8      7       8
WARNING: The median and mean for the waiting time are not within a normal
deviation
        These results are probably not that reliable.
WARNING: The median and mean for the total time are not within a normal
deviation
        These results are probably not that reliable.

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%      7
  66%      7
  75%      7
  80%      7