Multiple websites with multiple ip addresses

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Multiple websites with multiple ip addresses
From: Doug Curtis <doug.curtis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:26:34 -0500
Hello all!

I have gotten lvs running with keepalived using LVS-DR and everything seems ok. The only issue I have (and I may have this wrong) is this.

I am running multiple websites and they each have their own ip due to each one needing an ssl cert. The director is sending traffic to each of the real servers. Dandy. The only thing seems to be is that the director doesn't seem to take into account the connections on the other ips.

So if ip A is getting a lot of traffic and ip B isn't at that time, everything is is distributed to the 4 real servers and the load is the same on all 4 real servers. Let's say that ip C is getting a lot of traffic at the same time as ip A, then the director seems to be sending traffic over to server 1 even though it's already gotten quite a bit of traffic from IP A so the load gets unbalanced across the live servers. So I guess what it boils down to is while the connections per ip address are evenly distributed, the connections per server aren't.

I guess that theoretically in a wrr situation, it would just keep cycling the connections to each of the real servers and it should all work out but I am seeing quite a bit of load differences. 3 of the real servers will be around .4 and the 4th will be at 1.3. I am using the same weight on all of the servers (for now). When I check the connections using ipvsadm, it appears to be sending the traffic equally to all of the servers.

I guess the other thing that may throw a wrench into things is that I am using keepalive in apache. That's how I had set it up when the sites were just on a couple of machines. Should I not use keepalive in apache any longer? From what I've read in previous posts, most people say to use it.

Am I seeing this correctly or is this not how the director works and if so, is there a way to remedy it?

Hopefully this rambling makes sense to someone out there. If not, let me know and I can include more info.
Thanks,

Doug