Re: keepalived problem

Subject: Re: keepalived problem
From: "gert.vanoverloop" <gert.vanoverloop@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:29:26 +0100
hallo

i tried a new configuration : see below
i send this to the keepalived mailing list but no answer yet.

maybe you can spare a few minutes to look at this config.
linux = ubuntu dapper / nic's are from netgear

thanks.

for my thesis i am testing keepalived/vrrp to failover two lans

see keepalived.conf below. (newer config than my first mail)

i'm having problems with pinging to other lan. as a test : i want to use two ethernet links between two lans with two linux routers
in between using keepalived/vrrp for redundancy.

i want to test this between two lans to failover voip.

the failover works fine. the problem is: i can ping from one lan to the interfaces in the router. but i can't ping it from the other lan. and i cannot ping through the loadbalancer to other lan. when i look into my arp table on a host pc i get the phisical mac address instead of a virtual mac address. is this normal? the two lan and routers are all in the same subnet. hope you can help me.

lan ------- switch ----------- linux 1 with keepalived ---------- switch --------- lan2 ------------ linux 2 with keepalived -----------

   on linux 1 : eth0 = 192.168.0.50 ; eth1 = 192.168.0.60
   on linux 2 : eth0 = 192.168.0.51 ; eth1 = 192.168.0.61
    pc on lan 1 = 192.168.0.5
    pc on lan 2 = 192.168.0.10

1. On director 1
                  vrrp_instance D1 {
                     state MASTER
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 51
                     priority 100
                     virtual_ipaddress {
                         192.168.0.100/24 brd 192.168.0.255 dev eth0
                     }
                  }
                  vrrp_instance D2 {
                     state BACKUP
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 52
                     priority 50
                     virtual_ipaddress {
                            192.168.0.101/24 brd 192.168.0.255 dev eth0
                     }
                  }

2. On director 2
                  vrrp_instance D1 {
                     state BACKUP
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 51
                     priority 50
                     virtual_ipaddress {
                            192.168.0.100/24 brd 192.168.0.255 dev eth0
                     }
                  }
                  vrrp_instance D2 {
                     state MASTER
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 52
                     priority 100
                     virtual_ipaddress {
192.168.0.101/24 brd 192.168.0.255 dev }
                  }

Both of your messages wrapped horribly, so here's my attempt at unpicking them:

Hello;  i'm having problems with pinging to other lan.  as a test :
i want to use two ethernet links between two lans with two linux routers
in between using vrrp for redundancy.  i used the configuration below.
the failover works fine. the problem is: i can ping from one lan to the
interfaces in the router. but i can't ping it from the other lan. and i
cannot ping through the loadbalancer to other lan.  when i look into my
arp table on a host pc i get the phisical mac address instead of a virtual mac address. is this normal? the two lan and routers are all in the same subnet. hope you can help me.
-----
1. On director 1
                  vrrp_instance D1 {
                     state MASTER
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 51
                     priority 150
                     advert_int 1
                     authentication {
                          auth_type AH
                          auth_pass TEST
                     }
                     virtual_ipaddress {
                          10.0.0.110
                     }
                  }
                  vrrp_instance D2 {
                     state BACKUP
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 52
                     priority 100
                     advert_int 1
                     authentication {
                          auth_type AH
                          auth_pass TEST
                     }
                     virtual_ipaddress {
                          10.0.0.111
                     }
                  }

2. On director 2
                  vrrp_instance D1 {
                     state BACKUP
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 51
                     priority 100
                     advert_int 1
                     authentication {
                          auth_type AH
                          auth_pass TEST
                     }
                     virtual_ipaddress {
                          10.0.0.110
                     }
                  }
                  vrrp_instance D2 {
                     state MASTER
                     interface eth0
                     virtual_router_id 52
                     priority 150
                     advert_int 1
                     authentication {
                          auth_type AH
                          auth_pass TEST
                     }
                     virtual_ipaddress {
                          10.0.0.111
                     }
                  }

So that's the configs sorted out. Firstly I would recommend commenting out the authentication {} sections, unless you are completely sure that this is working (there's been lots of talk of broken AH mechanisms on the keepalived list in the last 18 months or so, which may be fixed but removing it simplifies things anyway).

Unfortunately, the config you give us isn't complete - what other IP addresses are hardwired onto the interfaces?

Also, if this is strictly a VRRP issue, you may want to discuss it on the keepalived list instead of the LVS list. I've cc'd that list to kickstart it.

Graeme