LVS 4 server setup with directors running on gateway shorewall servers

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS 4 server setup with directors running on gateway shorewall servers
From: "Jason Powell" <jpowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:27:08 -0800
I’m hoping someone can help me out - or at least point me in the right
direction. New to LVS, and been struggling with all the various guides and
documentation.

My simple setup at home before being moved to the datacenter (assuming it
works):

(Business class DSL router)

(Linksys Firewall – Port forwarding enabled)

(Director Server 1)  (Director Server 2)

(Web server 1) (Web server 2)

The Linksys handles the external IP address, with an internal of 192.168.1.1.
The two director servers have a VIP of 192.168.1.105 for eth0 which connects to
a switch also connected to the Linksys. They also have a VIP of 10.69.69.5 and
10.69.69.105 for eth1, and .5 is the default route for the web servers. The two
director servers also run Shorewall, which essentially only drops ping. (I’ve
tried with and without shorewall, same problem.)

All the heartbeat/VIP failover works flawlessly.

My ldirector.cf file is as follows:

checktimeout=10

checkinterval=2

#fallback=127.0.0.1:80

autoreload=no

logfile="/var/log/ldirectord.log"

logfile="local0"

quiescent=yes

virtual=10.69.69.105:80

        real=10.69.69.11:80 gate

        service=http

        checkport=80

        checktype=negotiate

        request="ldirector.html"

        receive="OK"

        scheduler=rr

#        persistent=600

>From any machine on the 10.69.69.x network other then the servers listed
>above, it works perfectly. All the connections to the web servers are balanced
>and everything is happy.

The problem is, from outside (internet), I cannot get it to work. With no DNAT
rule, I simply get a connection refused.

With a DNAT rule of:

DNAT            all             loc:10.69.69.105                tcp     80 -
192.168.1.205

My connection times out, and ipvsadm shows the connection count increasing
under “InActConn”

If I put a DNAT rule on shorewall to send port 80 to a real server instead of
the VIP, I’m able to access the real servers webpage (obviously not being load
balanced though).

Am I missing something super obvious here? Is this even possible? I’ve run out
of ideas to troubleshoot this. My next step was going to try installing the
director on the real web servers, and simply do a DNAT on shorewall to a VIP
there – but I’m hoping that isn’t necessary.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks