Re: Using LVS to replace Netscaler Load Balancer

Subject: Re: Using LVS to replace Netscaler Load Balancer
From: "Philip M" <disordr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:19:35 -0800
On 1/16/07, Bill Omer <bill.omer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm using LVS to
load balance web and app servers.  The reals have default routes to
actual routers, not the DIP.  The LVS servers use LVS-DR to send
traffic to the reals.  Packets will come in to the VIP, which will
route them (without changing the DEST) to the real, and the real will
reply to the client.

To do this, you will need some iptables magic in order for the real
server to accept traffic with a DEST of the VIP.  Since the VIP is not
assigned to the real server, by default it would drop the packet.

Hope this helps.

-Bill

Thanks for your response Bill.
Just to clarify a few points. You need the iptables magic with your setup
because you're using LVS-DR, but the DIP's and RIP's are not on the same
subnet, so it's not as simple as rewriting the MAC and leaving putting the
packet on the wire?

If so, I'll get to work on upping my iptables foo.

Philip