Re: Using LVS to replace Netscaler Load Balancer

Subject: Re: Using LVS to replace Netscaler Load Balancer
From: "Philip M" <disordr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:21:55 -0800
On 1/17/07, Rob <ipvsuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Philip M wrote:
> Bill,
>
> If the VIP's and RIP's are on the same subnet, you shouldn't need any
fancy
> iptables rules, just do the normal ip aliasing technique that is also
> described in the Mini Howto.
> Rob described it as I understand LVS-DR works.
>
> Regardless, my problem is a bit different.
> In my network setup where the netscalers live, the VIP's and RIP's are
on
> different subnets, and the RIP's default gateways are not the netscalers
> but
> other routers. LVS-DR won't work since they are not on the same subnet
> (broadcast domain), and LVS-NAT won't work since the RIP's don't use the
> Director as the gateway. I'm going to talk with some colleagues to see
if I
> can conceptualize at the IP layer what needs to happen for all parties
> involved to be happy (Client, Director, realserver, router/gateway; and
all
> the sessions within). Perhaps LVS-TUN might solve my problems; I'll test
> this out.
>
> Philip

Perhaps creating a VLAN that includes the Director and the Real servers?
Or
adding an additional NIC on the real servers that can be included in a
VLAN?
Never tested that myself...

If you do end up testing or deploying an LVS system, please post what
config
finally worked for you - iptables, VLANS, whatever.

Today I successfully used LVS-TUN to accomplish what I needed. For my basic
tests, everything worked out fine. I still need to determine if this will
work on a production scale, as IP encapsulation brings about its own issues
with MTU sizes and packet fragmentation.

Thanks,

Philip