ldirectord: checkinterval global, or per-service?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ldirectord: checkinterval global, or per-service?
From: Guy Waugh <gwaugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:22:41 +1100
Hi all,

I'm running Ultramonkey - heartbeat and ldirectord on RHEL3 boxes.

It looks to me like the 'checkinterval' parameter in an ldirectord config file is global... can anyone confirm or deny this? Can this be declared per virtual service?

I'm asking because I have an HTTPS virtual service whose real servers seem to be a bit slow to respond to service checks sometimes (but they do eventually respond). Because it doesn't seem to make sense to have the 'negotiatetimeout' parameter (which is a per-virtual-service parameter) greater than the 'checkinterval' parameter, I've had to raise the 'checkinterval' parameter to 60 seconds to match the 60 second 'negotiatetimeout' parameter for the HTTPS virtual service in question. This means that every real server for every virtual service I have only gets checked every 60 seconds, which is not desirable for me - before this HTTPS service came along, we had 'checkinterval' set at 10 seconds.

Maybe my thinking is wrong here... for example, if the 'negotiatetimeout' parameter for a virtual service is, say, 60 seconds, but the 'checkinterval' is, say, 20 seconds, I'm assuming that it will be a bad thing if another real server check starts (i.e. 'checkinterval' seconds passes) before the last real server check has finished or timed out (i.e. 'negotiatetimeout' seconds have not yet passed, and ldirectord still thinks it's doing the first real server check when it starts the next real server check).

If 'checkinterval' is indeed a global parameter, I should probably just run two instances of ldirectord through heartbeat, one for the troublesome HTTPS service (with a long 'checkinterval') and one for everything else (with a short 'checkinterval').

Thanks,
Guy.

--
Guy Waugh