Throughput Issues

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Throughput Issues
From: Aaron // LT <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:19:57 +1100
Currently we have an LVS load balancer running on an AMD sempron64 2800, 1gb ram, and an Intel Dual Pro Gigabit NIC (dual port, pro1000/MT). LVS is configured in NAT mode, with 8 web servers. During peak it pushes up to 300Mbit/s outgoing traffic. Up until recently we have not had any problems with throughput.

Lately whenever traffic goes above 300mbit/s, packetloss starts, and sometimes we receive the following message in the logs:

e1000: eth1: e1000_clean_tx_irq: Detected Tx Unit Hang
Tx Queue <0>
TDH <a>
TDT <a>
next_to_use <a>
next_to_clean <1e>
buffer_info[next_to_clean]
time_stamp <238c523a>
next_to_watch <1e>
jiffies <238c6768>
next_to_watch.status <0>
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out

Does it look like its time for a hardware upgrade? Or could it be something else which is causing this problem? If a hardware upgraded is recommended, what sort of hardware should we be using?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Aaron