Ultramonkey mentioned in Mar 2007 LinuxJ, p48

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Ultramonkey mentioned in Mar 2007 LinuxJ, p48
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:36:50 -0800 (PST)
I would love to say that UM was mentioned in a competent context, but it's mentioned in an infommercial (presented as a technical article) on the "Coyote Point Equalizer" (p48). Since LinuxJ is a magazine targetted to technically competent GPL/opensource people I would expect that they'd at least tell you whether this was a proprietary box or not (it's proprietary, but you won't find out in this article). Even if the author doesn't think this is important to get this straight, you'd at least think that the editors would.

The infommercial is targetted to people who know nothing about load balancing (perhaps the author knows nothing about it either) and is mostly gee-whiz. He mentions Ultramonkey as an open source balancer, without mentioning LVS. I'm sure he doesn't know the difference. He says that the reason you'd want the $10,000 Coyote box with 20 NICs, rather than an opensource setup on a box with 2 NICs is performance. He doesn't compare the Coyote box with an opensource balancer running on the same hardware. Where are the editors here?

When LinuxJ last botched an article on load balancers, I wrote telling them that there were competent people available to review submissions, just by looking with google. They e-mailed me back saying something like "oh sure, we'll call you next time".

I've been thinking of discontinuing my subscription to LinuxJ. This just about seals it.