Re: Load Balance By Country

Subject: Re: Load Balance By Country
From: David Black <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:52:50 -0400
For work, I implemented an expanded variation of this:

    http://www.caraytech.com/geodns/

...and using this database get pretty accurate IP-to-US state mappings,
in addition to country:

    http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity

Not perfect - nothing like this is - but definitely a functional
optimization.   My applications so far are to direct clients to the
"nearest" web server cluster and VPN gateway for the purpose of
minimizing latency.   I stuff the names to be geo-balanced into a
subdomain served only by a group of nameservers running the above code
and database.

Dave