Re: Load Balance By Country

Subject: Re: Load Balance By Country
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, David Black wrote:

For work, I implemented an expanded variation of this:

   http://www.caraytech.com/geodns/

OK

...and using this database get pretty accurate IP-to-US state mappings,
in addition to country:

   http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity

I was driving home last night and thinking there has to be a mapping of IP to city/location (even if it does change slowly with time). You'd think ICANN (or whoever) would be required to release this info as part of their monopoly on the internet. The FCC is required to release the frequency and location of TV and radio stations. Horm's Saru sure is a lot of work to get information that should be public domain.

I see the real version (geocity) is $370.

Not perfect - nothing like this is - but definitely a functional optimization. My applications so far are to direct clients to the "nearest" web server cluster and VPN gateway for the purpose of minimizing latency.

OK

I stuff the names to be geo-balanced into a subdomain served only by a group of nameservers running the above code and database.

"the names"? is this the names of your clients or your servers? Not sure what you're doing here. I assume if I'd installed geodns, I'd know what you were doing, but I don't.

Do you have a mapping for all IPs (even if it isn't real accurate)? If not, what do you do with someone from an unmapped IP?